Monday, June 7, 2010

Beyond catagory

Just when I thought that I had found the ceiling...the absolute best of what I could put on the table , along comes a wine with class beyond the rest. I am without adaquate words to describe the completeness and beauty of the Ridge '04 Santa Cruz mtns. blend. All I can say is that for as long as I have been drinking wine, Ridge has always stood out as a benchmark , something to compare not only domestic wines to, but all wines from all over the world. This blend of the classic Bordeaux varietels goes beyond anything that I have tasted from Cailfornia. This is not to say that it is better, just mor complete, more sophisticated and timeless. Ridge does not appear to follow trends or pay attention to what cult winemakers are doing elswhere in the state. Ridge wines seldom cost more than $ 40, except for thier Monte Bello estate Cabernet, a very rare and coveted wine. I bought this bottle a few years ago at the winery and saved it until last weekend. My reward was a perfectly aged wine experience that I'll not forget.Seek this one out......it is probably the best red wine you'll ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment