Monday, March 28, 2011

Mclaren Vale......my new favorite region of Australia


I used to buy Australian wine without much thought to the fact that the country is immense and the variety of wines equally ample. As I have tasted through the years I have found two regions that produce the kind of reds that I really appreciate : # 1, Barrossa , # 2, Mclaren Vale. Both of these south Australia valleys produce world class Bordeaux varietals and Rhone grapes but the biggest star seems to be Shiraz , or blends thereof. This Tintara is available at Shopper's Corner for $ 9.99 ( reg. $ 16.99 ) and is a 2006 Shiraz from Mclaren Vale , home to one of my favorite wines of the world, Yangarra. Most of the Yangarra wines are near the $ 30 mark so finding a neighbor for under $ 10 made me buy it. I was not disappointed.....the wine is flavorful and rich without being over ripe or volitile with too much alcohol. I give it a solid 7 swiggs and recommend it for folks who want to check out how good Australian wine can be without breaking the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment