Tuesday, April 20, 2010

$ 19.99 Brunello from T.J.'s.

Italian wine at Trader Joes is a crapshoot for the most part. Reliable bottles aren't that cheap and cheap bottles aren't that interesting. When I spotted this 2003 Bonacci Brunello di Montalcino for under $ 20 , I had to try it. Good Brunellos are a real treat and if you are having pasta they really compliment the food. The price range for these wines usually starts at $ 35 and can go over $ 100 for the top lables . I knew that '03 was a pretty good year ( '02 was a washout with rain ruining most of the crop.) but was wondering why the price was so low. Upon opening the wine I noticed a very subtle sulphury rotten egg smell for the first few sips.....not good but it did go away soon. I'm sure that decantering 1/2 hour before serving would help. After the first bad smells went away , the wine showed true Brunello character-dry , complex and really tasty. This is one you will want to take your time with and really appreciate every sip. I'll give it 8 1/2 swiggs......not the very best of its type but still a real classy weekend drink, as long as you can get past the initial smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment