Saturday, December 18, 2010

First of the 2009 Bordeaux


The hype is up and so are the prices for the much lauded '09 Bordeaux. This bottle, however is affordable and not bad for the price. The only caveat for wine lovers is that Bordeaux wines tend to need a bit more air before drinking, at least this one does. Upon the first swig, I found the 2009 Haut Blaignan to be a bit tannic. Perhaps another year or two in the bottle or an hour or so in a decanter might mellow it out. I didn't have the patience to wait so I just poured in out and had it with dinner. While I liked it, I didn't feel I was tasting it for what it eventually could be, a nice dry earthy red wine. I'll give it 5 1/2 swiggs for now and maybe put a couple away for next year. The vintage is supposedly one of the best so it might prove out to be a better wine than it has shown at this time. $ 6.99 at Trader Joe's.

No comments:

Post a Comment